Another new pair of augmented reality (AR) smart glasses are now available for enterprise customers—this time from New York State-based Vuzix Corporation.
➨ M400 Smart Glasses have received approval from the US, EU, Japanese and Canadian regulatory agencies
➨ The smart glasses are powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon XR1 platform
➨ ‘The Vuzix M400 Smart Glasses were designed to be best in class for enterprise’—Paul Travers
Hot on the heels of the new X2 mixed reality smart glasses from New Jersey-based ThirdEye Gen, M400 Smart Glasses have received approval from the US, EU, Japanese and Canadian regulatory agencies. They are shipping to early adopter programme participants, and are available for purchase from Vuzix’s US, EU and Japanese webstores.
The Vuzix M400 Smart Glasses are powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon XR1 platform, which integrates an ARM-based multicore CPU, vector processor, GPU and Qualcomm’s artificial intelligence (AI) engine.
The Snapdragon XR1 platform was also designed to deliver an immersive user interface experience, with features such as native voice processing, motion tracking and head tracking.
The specifications and features for M400 Smart Glasses include:
- SOC: Qualcomm Snapdragon XR1 Platform 8 Core Processor with up to 2.5 GHz clock speed
- Memory: 6GB LPDDR4
- Storage: 64GB eMMC Flash
- Display: OLED
- Display contrast ratio: 10,000:1
- Charging and data: USB 3.1 Gen 2 on Type-C
- Operating system: Android 8.1
- Camera: 12.8 MP
- 3 noise cancelling microphones
- Built-in speaker
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac: Dual-B 2.4/5 GHz
- BT 5.0
- Hot swapping external batteries
- Left or right eye usable
- Display and camera can be moved up, down, left, right, in or out—to position
- IP67 rating dustproof: Protected from contact with any harmful dust
- IP67 rating waterproof: Protected from immersion in water with a depth of up to 1 meter (or 3.3 feet) for up to 30 mins
- Drop proof: Resistant to 2-meter drops onto concrete
- 1135 mAh battery (total of internal + opposite side temple batteries)
- Significantly improved power management and extended battery life
Paul Travers, president and chief executive officer at Vuzix, pinpointed the inclusion of the Qualcomm Snapdragon XR1 platform as a key selling point of the new smart glasses.
He said: “The Qualcomm Snapdragon XR1 platform with built-in AI capabilities offers a platform of improved interactivity, power consumption, and thermal efficiency. The Vuzix M400 Smart Glasses were designed to be best in class for enterprise and, in addition to the powerful XR1, includes a larger memory profile, superior voice recognition and noise cancelling, an improved touchpad with multi-finger support, built-in GPS, OLED display and much more.”
“The M400 is, by almost every measure, an order of magnitude faster than current solutions in the market. The performance improvements also mean that for less processor intensive applications, power consumption is expected to be much less. Qualcomm Technologies has been a great partner for Vuzix and we look forward to expanding our relationship to support the burgeoning AR smart glasses market.”
The release of M400 Smart Glasses swiftly follows the introduction of Vuzix Blade to Amazon.
The smart glasses were previously only available directly from Vuzix.
Vuzix Blade has also secured Alexa ‘built-in’ certification, bolstering an already-impressive software suite that includes DJI drone support.
Image credit: Vuzix